- Sabres call Monday press conference for 1 PM
- Oilers hire “moneyball” guy Tyler Dellow
- The 20 Greatest Vancouver Canucks
- Ticketmaster goofs up, reveals potential Kings-Sharks outdoor game in 2015
- June 28th 1997, The Day That Changed Vancouver
- Leafs sign Daniel Winnik to one-year deal
- The case for Peter Mueller
- Iginla, Stuart, and O’Reilly, Oh My!
- Former Avs Defenseman Injured In Cycling Accident
- On Iginla and HHOF
THR’s Top 5 Jerseys in the NHL
- Updated: May 9, 2014
In The Hockey News latest issue ”The Lists: Hockey’s Epic Triumphs, Fails and WTFs!”, they ranked the five best jerseys in the NHL. After reading the list, I decided to make my own because I don’t agree with some of the rankings they made. I was originally going to write a post about this in the summer, but totally forgot to. But after talking with several friends and reading debates on Twitter, it’s pretty clear that opinions vary on this subject.
Anyways, let’s get to it!
Here are THN’s picks
Top 5 Jerseys
1. Montreal Canadiens (Home)
”The classic logo framed by the mid-jersey stripe is iconic. There’s no other way to put it. The Canadiens’ look is simple, effective and timeless, often duplicated but never equalled.”
2. Chicago Blackhawks (Home)
”Though the logo can be controversial, the Hawks have not been targeted like the NFL’s Redskins or Baseball’s Indians. The jersey is a favourite in sports with a great shoulder patch too.”
3. Detroit Red Wings (Home)
”So classic, so clean. The Red Wings get away with the most minimal of striping, putting the famous logo front and center. Understated and elegant, it’s one of just a few two-colour sweaters.
4. Dallas Stars (Home)
”A brand new entry. The Stars reinvented themselves over the summer and the look is sharp. The green pops, the stripes are simple and the logo is a bold, original creation.
5. Tampa Bay Lighting (Home)
”Another recent entry, Tampa Bay followed Detroit and Toronto in producing a two-colour sweater design. The new logo is almost solemn in its simplicity and, pardon the pun, striking”
Someone please tell why Dallas is in the top-five here? Heck, I wouldn’t have them in my top-ten. And someone please tell me why Tampa is here, too? I mean, I like both sweaters but they don’t deserve to be on this list.
The Hockey Report’s picks
1. Chicago Blackhawks (Home)
Honestly, the Blackhawks have hands down the best jersey in the entire NHL, and one of the best in sports. Period. The tradition and look make it the best. There really isn’t much more I can say about that, and I believe most of you guys will agree with me on this one.
2. Montreal Canadiens (Home)
I like the Canadiens sweater. It’s original, clean, and a pure classic.
3. Detroit Red Wings (Home)
The Red Wings jersey is one of my personal favourites, and THN was correct with placing them in third
4. Toronto Maple Leafs (Home)
The Leafs have a clean and simple jersey. The Blue and White is sharp and is one of my all-time favourites. I don’t understand why THN didn’t have Toronto in the top-5. Fourth place is fair, no?
5. Philadelphia Flyers (Home)
I like the use of the black, white and orange. It’s original.
In conclusion, the Original Six have some of the best jerseys in the NHL, and there’s no denying that. But looking outside the Original Six, there are still some really good jerseys like the Oilers, Coyotes and Penguins.
What are your top-5 jerseys in the NHL? Comment below.
(NHL Jerseys via NHL.com)
Latest posts by Dale Lamontagne (see all)
- Sabres call Monday press conference for 1 PM - Aug 17, 2014
- Ticketmaster goofs up, reveals potential Kings-Sharks outdoor game in 2015 - Aug 3, 2014
- Leafs sign Daniel Winnik to one-year deal - Jul 28, 2014
- The case for Peter Mueller - Jul 26, 2014
- On Iginla and HHOF - Jul 25, 2014